Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Weigh-in Wednesday: Hot Hot HOT!

Hot Yoga? That's for beginners.  With the insanely hot weather we're having (why are we always surprised when it's stupidly hot in July?), I'm here to start a new movement - Hot Weightlifting!

As Social Media lights up with posts about how horrifically hot it is outside, and how everyone just wants to sit in front of their air conditioning unit without moving, I've been doubling up on workouts.  Since I'm trying out for the Toronto Triumph - Toronto's own Lingerie Football League team- I've been keeping up with my usual 6 day a week workout cycle, and adding in the practices on top.  Saturday's LFL workout was a flight of about 100 stairs with 20 rep sets of squats, pushups and bench dips scattered in, and then sprinting and ladder drills.  Tonight's LFL workout was running drills and (finally!) hitting drills, which meant not just hitting, but also lifting and carrying our partners.  I would argue that this would be a sweaty workout even in the coolest conditions, but on days like today, and in a facility without air conditioning, we got a serious sweat on.

Even in the gym, where there is supposedly A/C, it is H-O-T.  As miserable as it seems, I know that I personally feel like I've been FAR more productive than usual.  By the end of my workout, not only have I sweat more, but I've found a little extra work buried deep in my muscles!  In heat like this, the muscles are warm with minimal effort, which in my mind makes for ideal conditions to push them further and move more weight! 

So in the summer months when everyone else is on a patio, downing cold one after cold one, are you in the gym upping your maxes, or are you off worshipping the sun at the family cottage?  I HIGHLY recommend taking advantage of the sweat factor!

Love yourself, and prove it!
xo
Mandy

No comments:

Post a Comment