Friday, July 20, 2012

Fresh Perspective Friday

Hi there, sportsfans!  Happy Friday to those of you who recognize the difference between the work-week and the weekend!

My apologies for being tardy on the posts this week; I had intended for the Monday Menu to address my seemingly constant cravings (...have allllllwaaaaaaayyys been.....try to get THAT song out of your head now!) for ice cream in this crazy hot weather - and then the ice cream maker broke.  I'm working on rectifying that situation, but in the meantime, I didn't think anyone would be especially enthralled by a post with multiple pictures of a plain ol' protein shake with ice blended into it!

Wednesday weigh-in was going to be a discussion about support systems, my struggle to have my family understand where I'm coming from in both my journey and desire to compete, as well as my concern over their so-called "healthy" diet and lifestyle.  My parents have been here all week "visiting"- my Mom is here on a training course, and my Dad and I have been working feverishly to get caught up on my house renovations. 

Alas, between the malfuntioning ice-cream maker, and the busy-ness of the renovation/gym/LFL/baseball schedule, my posts just never made it into the realm of being.

Before I head back outside to help my Dad with yet another project, I wanted to leave you with what may just be my new mantra.  My friend (whom I met through the social media site for gym rats, which I highly recommend, www.gymga.com) Shawn, posted on the book of faces just how grateful he is for the good things in his life - his wife, his kids, the baby on the way, his new-found relationship with his parents - the list goes on - but most hauntingly, the fact that he's even ALIVE today, living longer than he sometimes thinks he was meant to do.  He closed out his post, public to his friends - both from the interwebs, and from real life - with the following:

Everyone should try, when they can, to take a minute, even just one minute, to remember the things that keep them from hanging themselves. Your wife, your kids, your job, your family, your truck, your dog..... it doesn't matter. Life is overwhelming and sometimes impossible... love what you can when you can.

In my mind, that really resonates with the whole message that I'm hoping to spread to those who have touched MY life.  Life is not perfect, you may not be perfect, but there is always something to love.  When you can recognize those small things, always take a moment to cherish them, like savouring the last bite of the best dessert you've ever tasted.

With that, I will sign off for the first time with my NEW mantra.

LOVE WHAT YOU CAN, WHEN YOU CAN,
Mandy
xo

1 comment: