Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Wednesday Weigh-In: Let's Make a Deal!

How many times has the following scenario happened to you?

Set #1: Supposed to do 10 reps.  By rep #6, you've already convinced yourself that there's no way you'll get to ten, so you negotiate with yourself that you'll do 8 this set, and add 2 to the next set.

Set #2: This time, it should be 10 reps, PLUS the 2 extras that you skipped on last set; by rep 8, you're sure there's no way that even 10 will happen, so you quit early, and you'll DEFINITELY add another 2 to the next set.

Set #3: OK, this one will be huge.  In fact, maybe instead of doing 10 reps plus the extra 6, I'll just do another 8, and then an EXTRA set of 8......

Set #4:  Man, those first 3 sets were REALLY tough.  And it IS a low carb day, so I just don't have the same energy that I normally would have..............

Sound familiar?

I don't think I've met anyone who hasn't at one point or another tried to bargain with himself in a workout; some do it more than others.  When people are paying a trainer to push them, and help them "take it to the next level", it's not uncommon to hear extra reps being called out, or half reps - I don't know where trainers learn to count, but they ALL seem to either struggle, or count in fractions ("One...One and a quarter.....One and a HALFFFF"...) - and most of the time the client keeps pushing out reps until they physically can't do any more.  So where is that drive when we DON'T have that $65 an hour motivator?

When I was working my back the other day, I found myself bartering; that is, until I overheard somebody trying to cut a deal with his trainer.  I looked over, and thought to myself how silly of him to spend all of that money and try to cut corners...WAIT.  Maybe I don't spend the money on personal training, but I certainly spend the time in the gym, the money on supplements, and effort planning my meals (ok, Z does most of the latter, but there's still a lot of effort that goes into it!).  So why on Earth am I selling myself short?!

At that moment, I decided that every time I tried to make a deal, I would "Trainer Count" my reps or sets, and if I was really trying to haggle, I'd up the weights, too!  I ended up doing 4 sets of 12 reps of back extensions, instead of 3 x 10, and the last set I had to go and grab the 50# dumbbell because I was already using a 45# plate!  Was I happy to do them?  Not so much in the moment, but after the fact, I was proud that I didn't let myself quit.

Next time, I'm going to charge myself $65 for my advice...LOL!

Don't let yourself get away with making excuses.  Treat that voice in your head like it's your client, and make it do extra if it complains!  Of course, form is always a priority, but if you're cutting weights or reps because you're trying to negotiate less work for yourself, you're just not getting everything that you can out of your workout!

Love yourself, and PROVE IT!

Mandy
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment