Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Composition

EVERYONE has stepped on a scale, most people have scowled at the number, and many never gave a second thought to what actually made up that mass that was being measured.  Of those who have, most have tried calipers (a measured "pinch test") to approximate body fat, some have scales that give you an indication, and others go on the internet and trust wonky mathematical formulae to tell them how "FAT" they are.

I have done all of the above.

Friday, January 13th, I went to McMaster University in Hamilton, to get the REAL scoop on what's going on with my body composition.  I. WAS. AMAZED.

I work hard on my body, and I'm proud of it, but I still beat myself up over having a long way to go.  ESPECIALLY when I consider that one of my 2012 goals is to be on stage in a figure/bikini/fitness competition!  So I (being the kind of person who needs NUMBERS, and not just to like the way I look in the mirror) wanted something accurate.  The most accurate way to measure body composition, and specifically body fat percentage is either the dunk tank - no thanks! - or the BodPod.  McMaster University has the only one in the area that I could find that is a) open to the public, and b) not an a$$load of cash to use!

I stepped into that magical pod wearing compression shorts, a sports bra and a spandex cap on my head.  The Kinesiologist in charge ran the test 3 times, and when I stepped out, voila!  There was my body composition, accurately measured.

My guess was that I was around 24-25% body fat.  My boyfriend figured about 26%.  The BodPod: 21% - that puts me in the LEAN category!

At 132.981 pounds, my body fat percentage is 21.4%, or 28.435 pounds.  104.546 pounds of my body is Fat Free Mass (bones, muscles etc).  Go me!  According to the readout, 18-22% is Lean: "Lower body fat levels than many people.  This range is generally excellent for health and longevity" - remember, this is the FEMALE scale, so the numbers vary for men.

HOW EXCITING!

xo
Mandy

No comments:

Post a Comment