Monday, December 17, 2012

The Holidays: Ho-Ho-Hopeless?

If you're like me, you try hard year round to make good choices when it comes to your body - whether it's food, workouts, or just general health, wellness and overall fitness.  AND THEN December rolls around (read: Holiday parties, excessive temptation from baked goods, additional pressure from peers, family and friends from team "oh-come-on-you-look-great-just-one-won't-kill-you", and the general stress and lack of time that comes with the season) and no matter how hard you try, it all seems to go out the window.  Next thing you know, you're making excuses about all of the weightloss contests that you're going to do starting in January, and don't want to give yourself a disadvantage by losing the extra pounds before the contest starts...seriously.  I know you do it. 

FEAR NOT, dear friends!

When I first made the decision that I could be a better version of myself a few years ago, I went to a gym, and got a "Nutritionist".  When it occurred to me that she wasn't even remotely qualified to be giving me diet advice, I met a REAL Nutritionist: Kyle Byron (I'll count the letters that come after his name and add them in later - he's a real deal fitness nerd, and easy on the eyes too!).  This guy walks the walk, talks the talk, and frankly, you could proudly take him home to Mom any day of the week!

I got Kyle's most recent newsletter in my e-mail inbox the other day, and asked him if I could share it with everyone, so I'll stop my rambling and share with you Kyle Byron's "HOLIDAY FITNESS TIPS"

***********************************************

Holiday Fitness Tips

It's a tough time of year for trying to stay fit and healthy. Pick a few of these tips and try something new this year. I've put the most-important tips at the top of the list.

1. Stay engaged mentally. Whether that means daily goal-setting, being in touch with your coach or simply using appetite awareness - stay present! Remember that emotion drives our behaviour, so if you need to break a pattern, try to understand the emotional reward of negative behaviours and their emotional negative results too.

2. Eat the treats you love in moderation. AVOID run-of-the-mill treats that sit idly hither and yon. They aren't worth it. Bring healthy food to social events to give yourself more chances of success.

3. Remember that training before treat meals can minimize the damage of extra calories and sugar. The harder and longer you train, the more calories you're going to deflect. If you can't get to a gym try this:

Home Workout:
After a warm up, triple-set pushups, side planks and split squats or wall-sits. Rest for 30-120 seconds after each triplet and repeat 3-6 times. Pat yourself on the back. While you stretch think positive thoughts!

4. Watch your use of language. If you continue to lament, "The holidays always set me back," guess what Luke Skywalker, you will fulfill that destiny! Instead say, "The holidays are historically a challenge but I am more into fitness than ever - I will do better this year and reward myself for the improvement. Yay me!" If that sounds corny, just keep in mind the most successful people in the world think positively.

5. Meatloaf had it right when he said, "Two outta three ain't bad." If you eat a perfect breakfast and lunch, and your dinner is a bit off (say, you have extra carbs and a small desert), you can easily out-train those calories with some shopping and a 10 minutes of push ups. Bonus points if said activity comes before the treat meal. (In a normal week however, we strive for "4.5 outta 5" but I have no song reference).


6. Pull out of tail-spins. Dec 24-26 is only three days. Don't wait until Jan 3 to get your butt in gear. Get social support or contact me!


7. Don’t pause your coach! If you need them in normal life, how can you succeed without them during the hardest time of year?

8. Brush your teeth after feedings and you'll be less likely to graze again for a while.
spacer (1K)

Being the "Healthy Person" at a Party

One of my clients said once, "It's easy for you (Kyle) to bring a salad to a party because you're a Nutritionist; people expect it. When I do it, I get made fun of all night." This piece will give you some tips on managing social situations that can amplify an already-touchy subject - eating.

So you're invited to a cocktail party and your goal is to have one small treat. To control the environment, you bring a tray of veggies and organic meats skewers (healthy).

Upon producing the food, at least one person says, "Look! The 'Healthy Person' brought diet food! Ha ha ha."

Defusing comeback: "Oh, is this healthy? I just like this stuff."

Then you will be persuaded to alter your life choices, "Live a little, it's Christmas," or my fav, "You know, it's not healthy to be restrictive all the time."

Defusing comeback: "I will have some treats shortly."
What I really want to say: "It's under control. My non-compliant meals are planned in advance to hit a range of 80-90% with at least two non-compliant meals coming after exercise."

Later in the evening, a few guests will come to you and say, "Thank you for bringing the healthy food!" Add these people to your social network.

Eventually, after considering many options, you decide to try a cupcake. You didn't realize it until this moment, but you have been under surveillance. Someone cries, "Look! Mr. Healthy is eating a treat!!!!"

Defusing comeback: "Of course I am. Healthy eating means occasional treats."
What I really want to say: "What I eat is my business. Please stop making a public display of my food choices. I always planned on eating a treat. I am not caving to social pressure."

And it can get much uglier...
Usually it's just some light jesting, but once I was called a "fag" for bringing salad to a bachelor party (by two guys, not my friends). I did not handle this well. Let's just say I offered them a free martial arts demo and they declined.

But you can't just put up your dukes every time someone gets in your grill. I have a client who is under constant scrutiny from her work colleauges. I've coached her into politely setting some boundaries like, "Thank you for your concern. I'm seeing a nutritionist and my doctor, and everything is under control."

Some folks won't lash out, they'll become insecure and self-deprecate. Kinda awkward. But I catch myself feeling this way around the fitness models I know (I'm not as fit).

The point is...

If you are reading this, you are either fit or trying to get fit. You are in the minority. Healthy eating or having recently changed your body shape, is going to draw attention. Be prepared and stay calm. Don't engage or explain.
*****************************************************
"Oh, this is healthy?" haha I love it!

If you are left wanting more of Kyle's writing, let me know and I'll hook you up with his newsletter.  If you're looking for a nutritionist to call your own, and can find your way to the uber cool King West area in Toronto, you can find him at 700 King West, or e-mail him directly at

kyle@kylebyronnutrition.com

And don't forget:  Love what you can, when you can!

Mandy
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment