Sunday, December 16, 2012

Car Crash Nightmares

A week ago today, I was making the three hour drive back up North from Toronto to the small town where I'm currently working and living Monday through Friday.  After following a salt truck for nearly 30 minutes (so frustrating!), I finally got to turn onto a different route... I was barely through the intersection when I felt my tires slipping out from under my control.  I said out loud "I'm going to get in an accident" and took my foot off of the gas.  All I could think was to steer WITH the direction that the ice was taking me, and hold on tight.  I spun toward the opposite shoulder, and suddenly felt my car rolling into the ditch.  I don't really have a clear image of what I SAW, but vividly remember rolling.  When we came to a stop, my driver's side was on the ground.  I don't remember removing my seatbelt, but after I did, I had my feet in the grass, out through where the driver's side window used to be.  My dog had been sitting in the passenger's seat, in her harness seatbelt; now, she was upright, hanging above my head!

Amazingly, both my dog and I walked away from the accident without so much as a bruise.  My car is written off (the frame is twisted from rolling), but we are ok!  I can't help but think that someone was looking after us that day.  I had a stiff back for a couple of days after the fact, but the worst part of the aftermath has been the nightmares.  I haven't slept well all week because as soon as I fall asleep my mind is spinning like I'm back in the accident again.  If you think about it though, that's a small price to pay compared to what it could have been!

This year has been a tough one, but I have survived it and relatively unscathed.  After the accident, as cliche as it sounds, I feel like I have a new perspective - things have been tough, but depending on how you look at it, I've been either terribly unlucky, or incredibly fortunate.  It makes me think that I have a lot to look forward to in the coming year, and I am going to make the best of it!

Love what you can, when you can!

Mandy
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment