Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Wednesday Weigh-in: Love yourself, and PROVE it!

For my first "Wednesday Weigh-in", I thought I'd offer some insight into where I'm coming from - not my bio, or a feature on my hometown, but what brought me to the headspace I'm currently in.  Future WWI's will be a space where I discuss topics of interest, articles, methodologies and hopefully have some guest bloggers!

I was raised to be a strong woman, with opinions and convictions, pride and strength (among other things).  I believed in myself, and wasn't afraid to stand out from the crowd, and stand up for what I believed in.  I played all of the team sports that I could, but my strength was figure skating - a sport that was demanding physically, and required commitment and dedication.  Before I ever realized it, I loved the sport because I was in control - my success was based (almost) 100% on how much effort I put into it.

My personal and athletic downfall was twofold; I was in a car accident that put a temporary end to my weight training in high school, and then after I moved away to University, and wasn't skating anymore.  I continued to talk a big game about being strong and proud, but had all but given up on myself.  One toxic relationship quite literally beat the spirit out of me - I wasn't allowed to go to the gym because if I lost weight, he was afraid other people would find me attractive!  I am forever grateful for the friends who helped me see that I deserved more.

Fast forward a few years, and I started running; another few years and I met my current boyfriend who helped me really get back into weight training and lifting big.  I had had the tools all along, but needed others to remind me of that strong, capable and determined woman that I was raised to be. Within a year of meeting my boyfriend, I had lost roughly 15% bodyfat, and was well on my way to being the person I knew I could be.

That desire to be in control, and know that the person that I am is a product of every action that I take, is back, and I have discovered Fitness competitions as the "grown up" version of my childhood love, figure skating.  I have a support system in place, both in my boyfriend, and in the new circle of friends that I have discovered both online (shout out to my "We Got This" girls!), and in person - all of whom I truly believe love me for who I am, and for what they know I am capable of.

My biggest fan though, is ME.  It has taken time, and trials, ups and downs, but I finally know that I love myself, and I'm worth the work that it takes to make healthy choices, and get to the gym on days like today, when the temperatures soar (hey! The gym has A/C!)

So I ask you to be honest with yourself - you know you love yourself, but are you doing the things that prove it?

Xo
Mandy

No comments:

Post a Comment